Postdocs who are on stipend, paid once a month through Stanford University, or fellowship/outside funded are not paid through Stanford University are enrolled for short-term disability through The Standard.
Find out more about Short-Term Disability (STD).
A regular appointed postdoctoral scholar who is stipend paid or outside funded and appointed at least 30 hours each week (75% effort).
Standard Insurance Disability Benefits Information:
- 60% of the first $2,167 of a postdoc's weekly pre-disability base stipend or outside funded pay
- Maximum benefit is $1,357/week subject to change every January 1st
- Minimum benefit is $25/week
- Benefit is paid weekly and is taxable
Waiting Period Before Benefits Become Payable
- 7 days for disability caused by accidental injury, illness, pregnancy, or mental disorder
- Benefits will start on the day of hospitalization or surgery, or on the 8th day of disability, whichever occurs first
Maximum Benefit Duration
- 180 days (minus the benefit waiting period)
Stipend Supplement Pay
- Postdocs may use sick time or time off with pay to supplement their disability benefit payment.
- Maternity Disability Leave Only: Postdocs are eligible to receive up to six weeks maternity leave with full pay. The postdoc is required to apply for short-term disability. The department will supplement the disability benefit to bring the postdoc to 100% full pay for six weeks of maternity disability.
Learn more about the Leave Policy including time off with pay, sick time, and maternity leave.