Long-term disability (LTD) insurance pays a monthly benefit in the event of a long-term illness or injury. You can enroll in this program at the time of your benefit elections at no cost to you.
This program is available to all postdocs, regardless of your appointment.
You are considered disabled if, as a result of sickness, injury, or pregnancy, you are unable to perform with reasonable continuity the material duties as described below:
- Your own occupation: for the first 24 months of LTD coverage
- Any occupation for which you are suited to due to education, training, or experience: after the first 24 months of LTD coverage
A regular appointed postdoctoral scholar, regardless of pay, working at least 500 hours each year and is appointed at least 30 hours each week (75% effort).
LTD Benefit Information
- Benefits begin on the 181st day of disability
- 50% of a postdoc's pre-disability pay
- Maximum benefit is $2,500/month
- Minimum benefit is $100/month
Pre-existing Condition Exclusions
LTD benefits are not payable for any disability caused by, contributed to by, or results from a pre-existing condition if the disability begins during the first 12 months you are covered under the LTD plan.
A pre-existing condition is any condition resulting from an injury or sickness that is diagnosed or for which you received treatment immediately prior to the date you become covered under the LTD plan. Treatment includes consultation, care or services provided by a physician including diagnostic measure, and/or taking prescribed drugs or medicines.
There are several special benefits provisions provided under the LTD plan as follows:
- Rehabilitation Plan - While disabled, you may qualify to participate in an approved rehabilitation plan where some or all of the expenses you incur would be paid by the plan (e.g., training and education expenses, family care expenses, job related expenses, etc.)
- Survivor Benefit - If you should lose your life while receiving benefit payments, a lump sum payment of three times your gross monthly LTD benefit will be paid to your surviving spouse, registered domestic partner or unmarried children under age 25.
- Conversion Coverage - If your appointment ends, you may be able to continue LTD coverage up to $4000 monthly benefit without evidence of insurability.