Maternity & Paternity Programs
Please notify the Postdoc Benefits Office as soon as you become aware of your pregnancy to receive additional information about postdoc maternity leave. Health information (including pregnancy) is protected information and is not shared outside the Postdoc Benefits Office.
Aetna Maternity Program
Two options to enroll:
- Call Aetna at 1-800-CRADLE-1 (1-800-272-3531) weekdays from 8am to 7pm ET
- Log in to your member website at www.aetna.com and look under Health Programs
Aetna Maternity Program information flyer
Reproductive and Developmental Health Protection Program
The objective of the Reproductive and Developmental Health Protection Program is to
- Protect the reproductive health of employees, postdocs, students and visitors
- Prevent exposure to chemical, biological, radiological and physical agents posing a hazard to human reproduction
- Help identify potential reproductive and developmental hazards and advise on appropriate exposure control measures
More info about the program is available on a dedicated webpage on the Stanford Environmental Health & Safety's website.
Postdoc Maternity and Paternity Information Sessions
Attend this session to learn about maternity/paternity leave benefits, when and how to apply for disability benefits as well as leave time available based on your type of pay and funding, and the prenatal education program available through Blue Shield of California. Information will also be provided from Stanford's WorkLife Office about on-site childcare and other resources.
Register for an upcoming session
One-on-One Maternity Meeting
About 6 - 8 weeks before your estimated due date, a Postdoc Disability Leave Coordinator will contact you and your department administrator to setup a one-on-one maternity meeting to discuss your maternity disability leave, benefits, and pay.
Adding Your Baby to Your Health Insurance Plans
You have 31 days from the date of birth to add your baby to your health plans.
- Process the QLE online in Benelogic. Instructions are here.
- Make sure to have a copy of the hospital certificate available to upload during the process. Change requests cannot be approved without dependent eligibility documentation.
- Bank account information is required to submit your elections as we collect dependent health premiums via a direct debit to your bank acount.
- You are not charged a health premium for coverage for the month of birth if the birth occurs on or after the 16th of the month. If your baby is born the 1st - 15th, we will retro-collect a health premium for the birth month. Please Note: You may be billed for 2 months at once to cover birth month and current month.
- Current health dependent care premium rates can be found here.
Filing for Pregnancy Disability Leave