Unpaid Leave of Absence and Health Coverage Options
Main content start
Sec 3. Leave Policy: Unpaid & Paid Absences
The leave policy for Postdoctoral Scholars (postdocs) is in place to provide equitable leave and to meet individual requirements while complying with state and federal law. This is an excerpt from the full leave policy that is explained in the DoResearch Guide.
A. Unpaid Absences
1. Personal Leave of Absence
If a personal leave is approved, the faculty sponsor may choose to continue paying for the institutional cost of medical, dental, and vision insurance. Otherwise, the postdoc is responsible for the full cost of these insurance plans. The PI remains responsible for the disability premium during an approved, unpaid LOA. Departments and postdocs must make arrangements regarding payment of health benefits with the Postdoc Benefits Office prior to the leave.
- Postdocs on an approved unpaid leave of absence (LOA) may request to drop their medical, dental, and vision benefits for the duration of their leave under certain circumstances:
- All postdocs may drop their dental and vision coverage for the duration of their unpaid LOA.
- Postdocs who remain in California during their unpaid LOA must maintain medical insurance for the duration of their leave and the insurance must meet California’s requirements. Proof of new insurance must be submitted to Postdoc Benefits within 30 days of the approval of the leave or they will be reenrolled and charged the monthly premium.
- Postdocs who remain in the US but outside of California during their unpaid LOA must maintain medical insurance per the requirements of the residing state. If the state has no requirements and the postdoc chooses to drop Stanford medical insurance and remain uninsured during their leave, they assume all financial liability for their medical services.
- Postdocs who leave the US during their unpaid LOA may opt to drop medical insurance and remain uninsured when outside the US. They assume all financial liability for medical services received during the leave.
- Maintaining appropriate medical insurance per state (and/or visa) regulations during an unpaid LOA is the postdoc’s responsibility.
- Postdocs have the opportunity to re-enroll in the medical, dental, and vision plans when they return from the unpaid LOA.